The Phoenix Youth Project
The Phoenix Youth Project came about due to the disbandment of the County Council Youth service. In September 2003 the project took off and built its own identity. The Phoenix Youth Project works with young people aged 8-19 years old delivering centre based and outreach youth work. We run three youth centres in Cleator Moor, Frizington and Moor Row delivering twelve evening sessions every week accross our delivery area.
We encourage young people to take part in the planning, delivery and evaluation of their project through club committees and attendance at public meetings. Young people are central to the planning and evaluating of each session. Therefore what the project delivers to the young people of Cleator Moor, Frizington, Moor Row and its surrounding areas is wide ranging and effective. Our youth centres provide young people with various activities, trips, opportunities for learning and development as well having fun. We split the evening sessions into two, the first for 8-12 year olds and the second for 13-19 year olds. The latter is the focus of the project in line with CYSS, ECM and TYW initiatives. Our objectives have a focus on personal and social development of the young people we work with and supporting and challenging them appropriately when needed. We aim to develop sustainable youth provision whilst also engaging local young people, parents and the community as a whole to become more actively involved in the future development of the project.
We annually work with over 500 different young people, and around 150 of these on a regular week to week basis. We are the only dedicated youth provision for 8-19 year olds in our area of delivery and thus our work is vital to the young people and the wider community.
Our Charitable ObjectsI. The advancement of education of children and young people in Copeland, Cumbria, in particular but not exclusively through leisure time activities so as to develop their mental, physical and personal capacities so that they may grow to full maturity as individuals and members of society;
II. To promote for the benefit of children and young people in Copeland, Cumbria and the surrounding area the provision of facilities for recreation or other leisure time occupations in the interests of social welfare and with the object of improving their conditions of life;
III. And the preservation and protection of good health of children and young people in Copeland, Cumbria, in particular but not exclusively through the provision of information and advice.
Aims of the project
- To promote the development of young people in achieving their full physical, intellectual, social and personal potential.
- To engage the community as a whole, in the personal and social development of young people.
- The promotion of young people in relation to Every Child Matters (ECM); Be healthy, stay safe, enjoy & achieve, make a positive contribution, and achieve economic well-being.
- To create a learning environment for young people that is fun, challenging and rewarding.
- To create an awareness of social issues.
- To create an awareness of opportunity
- To create awareness of diverse environments for young people by taking them out
- of their normal environment.
Objectives to reach the outlined aims
- Provide community based youth centres in Cleator Moor Frizington, & Moor Row.
- Provide informal learning for young people through informal educaitonal workshops aimed at the issues affecting the young people. We also invite partner agencies such as Inspira, local police and other appropriate bodies, who will assist in the delivery of informal educational opportunities.
- The delivery of personal development opportunities through engaging young people in educational opportunities outside their normal living environment e.g. residential visits & other field trips.
- Engage volunteers and parents in the planning and delivery of the service to young people.
- Engage young people in the planning and delivery of services which leads to their empowerment and education.
The Phoenix Youth Project Trustees
Steven Butterworth - Chair
Paul Zanacchi - Treasurer
Margaret Malloy - Secretary
The Phoenix Youth Project is a registered
charity under number 1160177
We are currently funded by the below
organisations who we cannot thank enough
CCleator Moor Town Council Arlecdon & Frizington Parish Council